Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

12 for the next 12.



I made my goals a little early this year. I have found in the past that if I wait until January 1st then I tend to rush, thinking and picking whichever absurd goal pops into my head without giving it any thought whatsoever, thus, I set myself up for FAILURE! happens every year. ((Sighh))

My 12 goals broken down:

1. Walk 2.75 miles a week.
This will equal 1003.75 miles for the year. Which means I will be accomplishing a Before I die... goal as well as a Year of 2012 goal, 2 for the price of 1! The walking will have to consist of me actually going out and walking, I can't count all the steps I take at work. I have been seriously upset at my lack of exercise lately and I am hoping this will help keep me active.

2. Save $1,000 to donate to a charity of my choice.
I had this goal last year and I failed miserably. So I am taking it up again this year. I really believe in the act of giving to people who have less than I do. I figure $1,000 is a little less than $2.75 a day, I think I can spare that. (This is also a life long goal)

3. Put $2,000 into an emergency fund!
Right now my emergency fund is at $0. We don't have a lot of money so I have never made it a priority, when it really should be. I know $2,000 doesn't seem like a lot to most of you but when you are 19 and living off a waitresses wage, it really is A LOT of money! At the very least it would cover 3 months rent.

4. $5.00 a week into a new car fund.
leaving me with a grand total of ... $1,825! I don't know when its going to happen, but I am sure one of these years my poor baby is going to break down for good, and when that happens I want to have a little bit of money set aside for a new car. At the very least $1,825 will give me a good down payment of something new-used and hopefully eco-friendly!

5. Start an IRA.
I have been putting this off, and putting this off, and putting this off. And I have finally decided I can't put it off any longer. I want to be sitting pretty when I finally retire! So this year, without fail, I will open up an account!

6. Finish writing my book.
I started a book about a month ago. I have it all laid out, now all I have to do is find the time to sit down and write it. So far I have finished the first chapter! Who knows maybe it'll be a hit and I'll get to retire early! :) One can only hope!

7. Volunteer once a month in my community.
I guess this one also goes with my need to give back. I feel like if we all just put one day aside to give back to our communities the world would be a better place for it.

8. Read atleast one book a month.
I love to read. LOVE IT! however, I think this year I have only managed to read, well... half of a book! Life and television always seem to get in the way. So this year I am devoting my spare time to reading! Monk will just have to wait.

9. Use coupons for every BIG grocery trip.
This is really just a way for me to save a couple bucks. Nothing to it!

10. Reduce eating out to no more than twice a week!
I eat at work every single shift! plus I like to get a bagle before my shift, plus on my days off my love always wants to go out and get a cheeseburger. We waste so much money this way. So including my shift meals, breakfast, and fast food, we WILL NOT be eating out more than twice a week this year. Groceries are a much better route I think.

11. Call my family atleast once a week.
My parents live on opposite coasts. I am atleast 1,500 miles away from each of them SO i figure I should keep up more often than I do. Also, in march I will be moving to where my mother is, but I will be leaving behind my sisters and stepmom, I want to make sure I stay in touch with them!

12. Make and give away atleast 3 blankets.
This is personal. I started a blanket 6 months ago. I am about an 8th of the way done, so not only will I finish this one, but I will also start and finish 2 more! That I will then Probably give to family members, or the local shelter.

I plan on posting about my progress atleast once a month! Good luck to everyone else and your goals!

The end.
HAPPY ALMOST 2012!

No comments: